Saturday, August 22, 2009

Romance Writing is F**king Hard

So, my class is going fairly well. Although, getting criticism on a book that you're only three chapters into is aggravating at the best of times. I have to change so much already before I continue it makes me want to run away from my computer screen and never open up the document again. The way I write this book though, well I might just finish it.

I've never made my own paranormal world let alone one based off of succubi and incubus. It's hard to give the readers enough information, when they keep calling for more, but not doing a massive info dump and turning everyone off from the storyline. This is quite possibly the hardest task I've ever set myself towards. Although, I've found writing in separate word documents for each chapter so that it looks like only ten pages each is a very nice way to go about things. There's less mental strain on my brain and less pressure to create because I can't see the pages that went before the one's I'm looking over.

For homework I'm transfixed with Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead. It only started out as a way for me to size up competition while figuring out how she managed her characters in a contemporary setting like mine. Now not only do I love her books, I don't really have a whole hell of a lot of answers to my questions. Although, I have sized up the competition, and I am scared. Can I write to her level? I have no idea. But now is not the time for an Emo-like rant. Now is the time for action. Or more reading of Succubus Blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment