- Reaction after action: check to make sure all physical, emotional, and any other type of reaction happens after the action. Such as: Harry gasped. What in the world did she think she was doing up in that tower? This sentence should be: What in the world did she think she was doing up in that tower? Harry gasped. Bad example, but you get the point.
- Use adjectives and adverbs sparingly. Make each word count. If you have to use an adjective or adverb, maybe you need to re-work the sentence to make it stronger.
- Don't summarize information when you can put it into dialogue.
A space for Erotica and Erotic Romance author Elise Hepner to let her hair down, Disney music on blast, while her freak flag flies in the breeze. Enter my kinky wonderland. Only 18 or older please as this blog tends toward the filthy, kinky smut.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
My Personal Editing Check List
As I'm editing I'm always adding to a checklist of edits I know to watch out for in the rough draft stage of my work in progress. It makes me think harder about each sentence, words I overlook and overuse, and variations in my vocabulary. Some examples I've found helpful:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment