As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm not one of those people that can write perfect first drafts---or even close to it. My drafts often come out with tons of passion and heart but lacking in everything but the language department such as plot, character motivation, and sentence variety. Yet, I always get the sex on point right away. I wonder what that says about me? Generally, in a wip I'm concentrating on fixing at least six things at once. I'm no good just going through lists and correcting one thing throughout an MS. I work in large chunks making massive changes to the document without really turning back because if I do I'll never want to touch it. It's not the most organized way to be, that's for sure. But I've got to assume it works for me because my drafts always get stronger, though sometimes I create a new crop of problems with my immediate changes.
I know authors that can bang out almost perfect drafts in one go---does it bother me? I'd be lying if I said no. But why does it bother me? Probably because I'd like to devote the time I do to editing on other things like writing new material and getting submissions out faster. I'm also fairly new to this game so writing full books isn't a wham, bam, thank you ma'am kind of process for me yet. But with practice I'd like to think my drafts will get cleaner. Like anything worth doing, I'm learning as I go and hopefully writing perfect first drafts will eventually become second nature. Either way I still get to do what I love so I should be thankful.
What are some of the pitfalls your experience with first drafts? Do you write them perfectly or wish you could?
No comments:
Post a Comment