Hey everyone,
I'm starting off my summer with an awesome trip to Ocean City on Tuesday, free of all technology, work, and with lots of delicious drinks. My plan is to lounge in the sun, visit the island with the ponies, eat a lot of good food and push thoughts of deadlines out of my head for a couple days. While I'm daydreaming about my vacation it's sort of fun that I'm a part of the Wet and Wild Bloghop while I'm getting ready to get down and dirty with my girlfriends. The best vacations are the ones where I don't bring my laptop, I like to work too much.
What's your ideal vacation or one you really enjoyed recently? Because I work as a full time writer I can take time off whenever I like--what winds up happening more often than not is that I don't take a vacation, period. Mostly because I work myself much harder than any full time job would.
Here's a snippet of my latest work in progress where my heroine is forced into a relationship rehab after she catches her picture perfect fiancee cheating on her abroad by webcam. A vacation she in now way wants--until she meets the owner's brother.
Wait.
A prickle of apprehension tickled her lower back making her pulse push harder against her temples. How had she gotten on the couch? The man from last night—this sure as shit didn’t look like any spa she’d ever set foot in—and she’d been to a lot courtesy of a picky mother. No pamphlets lying out on the coffee table, no check-in desk to welcome guests, no banner proclaiming some kind of healthy living promotion. Not even a measly vase of fresh cut flowers.
All in all, the room was exactly like any other beach house living room she’d ever been in, except for the lack of chipping paint, and the sweet, tart scent of apples. Maybe her mother had given the driver the wrong address? Because this house didn’t have enough rooms that she could see to even begin to cover a spa’s wellness needs. Without another thought, she eased her head between her legs taking deep breaths.
“So the cooking did wake you up? Good, I was wondering how long I’d have to deal with your snoring. Anyone tell you your nasal passages sound like the engine room of the Titanic?”
“Who are you?” she accused, sitting up fast enough that she clawed at her knees with her fingernails to keep her vision from clouding over.
“I’m the guy who saved your ass last night. I’m also your host for the next three days. And I made food. Looks like you won the morning lottery.” He smirked.
He placed down two steaming plates on the coffee table in the front of her, throwing the towels he used for potholders across the room. At least the man knew world class hangover food. In front of them sat two plates piled high with pancakes, fresh berries, whipped cream, and six slices of bacon each on the side. Someone liked their protein, though she couldn’t blame him. Bacon was totally a food group.
“Look’s good.”
“Well, you paid to be here. Part of the job description to feed you.”
“Aren’t you a ray of sunshine in the morning.”
She cracked her neck and winced.
“Sorry, you get what you get until Polly comes back.” He shrugged.
“Polly?”
She drew her gaze away from the mouthwatering food long enough to frown. Taking a good, solid look at his face brought back a tangle of memories from last night. But a majority of them took a backseat while she studied the handsome stranger slash possible kidnapper. Her impression of him last night hadn’t been too off—he was as tall as a damn lumberjack, at least 6’4. Lean and well-built, what her mother’s trainer would call “naturally thin and trim” with confidence in his words that didn’t play out in his body language.
He dug his hands firmly into a pair of wrinkled, faded jeans. A fawn colored cable knit sweater brought out his large, walnut brown eyes. Thin, black wire frame glasses, dark stubble, and a wiry mass of unruly black hair completed the librarian look. From head to toe he was geek chic, down to bare feet that, thankfully, were perfectly manicured. His eyes shot back and forth, gaze never landing during her scrutiny, mouth tilted down in a frown.
“I should go get the orange juice,” he cleared his throat, turned on his heel, and walked through the door she assumed went into the kitchen.
If she looked at him in the right light, with his glasses off, his high cheekbones and long eyelashes made him look akin to a leading man she’d seen in a Shakespeare movie a while ago. A play of Romeo and Juliet with one of those waifish, blonde actresses dressing up as a man. All the while she was secretly playing the leading man’s muse. Not much else rang a bell.
Chloe shrugged and picked up her fork. What was the harm in chowing down and then calling a cab to drive her to the nearest airport? If she played it safe for the next week she should have enough money in her savings to get her back to NYC safe and sound. No way could her host argue, because he didn’t exactly seem thrilled to have company. She heard the slap of male feet on the hardwood as she tucked the first delicious bite into her mouth.
“Here we are.”
He put two garish plastic cups advertising some Atlantic City hotel on the table.
“Who’s Polly?” Chloe re-asserted her previous question covering her mouth full of pancakes.
“My sister. She runs this place.”
“And this place would be…what?”
“You’re all paid up for three days and you don’t know where you are? Seriously?”
“Looks that way.”
He cocked his head to the side, licked his lips, and shrugged. Watching him uncurl from his place in the large, overstuffed club chair was kind of an Olympian feat. But it wasn’t nearly as entertaining as watching his tight, delicious ass while he headed back into the kitchen with a finger raised over his shoulder. One moment. Yeah, with these pancakes half-way devoured, she might not have many more of those left before it was time to skedaddle.
He strolled back through swinging kitchen door with a smile on his face a mile wide. Which was kind of nice. Okay, his pearly whites were a little more than nice. Mainly because his eyes lit up behind his glasses, leaving her wobbly knees in the pudding spectrum. But was lusting after some rebound really in her best interest right now? Not when she was making tracks the minute that last bite of syrupy deliciousness coursed down her throat.
Chloe nodded to herself, decided, while he slapped a pale pink flyer down on top of the coffee table next to her plate. His knuckles were sprinkled with tiny, golden hairs. Her gaze tracked back to the flyer as if she’d been caught sneaking a glance.
Without further comment she watched out of the corner of her eye as he deftly folded himself back up into the chair and took his plate into his lap. How it all fit together in the small space must have been a balancing wonder revered by the circus. She shot him a half-smile and tucked in the last bite of pancake moving onto the bacon.
Answer my question with your email address and I'll send you two books of your choosing, from my backlist to my current releases. The grand prize for the hop is:
To refer back to the rest of the bloghop, please go HERE.

My ideal vacation is just camping out with a couple of friends and hitting the rapids. I am hoping to do it again this year **crosses fingers**. Thank you so much for this amazing giveaway! Best of wishes!!
ReplyDeleteAshley Rogers twnkeez@hotmail.com
My ideal non-family vacation is going to reader conventions! This August my BFF and I are going to Authors After Dark in Savannah Georgia!
ReplyDeletesusanmplatt AT Hotmail DOT com
I like San Francisco for restaurants, bookstores, record stores, and concerts!
ReplyDeletevitajex(at)aol(dot)com
my ideal vacation is one where i'd be able to vist lots of museums
ReplyDeleteparisfan_ca@yahoo.com
My ideal vacation is one where I am pampered, don't have to cook, clean, or put the little one to bed, and I get to spend a lot of time reading.
ReplyDeletekesummer69(at)gmail(dot)com
my ideal vacation is fishing and camping
ReplyDeleteI'm dying to go to Italy and Ireland. That is my ideal vacation.
ReplyDeletesexyliltinkerbell20@yahoo.com
My ideal vacation involves lots of reading time, local vineyards, great food - and of course my hubby!
ReplyDeletenicolerjlapierre [at] gmail [dot] com
My ideal vacation would be to go back to Spain. The people, architecture, food, everything was wonderful!
ReplyDeletesabai30705 at yahoo dot com
Shannon
The number one place I want to travel when I have the money is Ireland. I want to kiss the Blarney Stone. :)
ReplyDeletesunstar2006@hotmail.com
I went to Maui for my honeymoon and I would love to go back.
ReplyDeletepjmillion(at)comcast(dot)net
Skyline Drive, hiking and enjoying nature...
ReplyDeleteBeckeyWhiteATgmailDOTcom
My favorite vacation was many years ago, my hubby(then BF) & I went to London for 5 days. but now it's just heading North to our cabin in the mountains for some peace & quiet...ok as much peace & quiet as you can get with 4 kids lol
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great giveaway.
Kleah921(at)gmail(dot)com
Oh man I haven't been on vacation in YEARS; but if I could have one and go anywhere it would be to go to Scotland. I've always wanted to go; plus the accent is sexy. Thanks for the giveaway.
ReplyDeletedragon5174 (at) gmail.com
I haven't been on vacation since I was little.
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to go to Germany.
Thanks for the chance to win!
natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com
The mountains or the beach. I love to be surrounded by natural beauty.
ReplyDeletesassychassy333 at gmail dot com
My idea vacation is anything anywhere that is VERY quiet. Mountains would be nice. Silence. Total silence except for the occasional non-annoying bird chirp here and there, maybe? Once every other day, a tiny chirp. That would be OK. Yeah. Heh.
ReplyDeletesheri[NO SPACE]savill[AT]gmail[DOT](com)
It was more of a two day trip... As I am in Bachelors Classes almost done and can't be without internet for longer than that due to homework... Hubby the kids and I went up to the Mountains of NC to visit with hubby's grandma(we do this every year)it is quiet no tv,no internet just quiet, waterfalls,woods, and mountains... On the way back we stopped off at the Biltmore Estate and Spent the day there...Our boys 9&3 were scary well behaved and we had a great time as a family. I have to say that was my latest and greatest family vacation :)
ReplyDeletej.m.platt83@gmail.com
My best vacation would be somewhere tropical and without internet access. I'd go through withdrawal for a day or two, but then I think it would be good to take a break.
ReplyDeletedancingcelt at gmail dot ocm
My perfect vacation would be to Malaysia--rainforests, ancient ruins, exotic culture, beautiful beaches and luxe hotels with all the amenities!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the amazing giveaway!
elizabeth @ bookattict . com (subscribed)
My ideal nonfamily vacation would be backpacking through europe!
ReplyDeletejulivalenti@tampabay.rr.com
I want to go everywhere. A small village in Italy, an exotic location not surrounded by tourists, a cabin by the lake in Maine. My only requrement is that it is not a major tourist spot..I enjoy privacy and a more authentic cultural experience :)
ReplyDeletedreammie_angel at yahoo dot com
My ideal vacation is a mountain cabin with plenty of good coffee and a quiet place to read...with my sexy hubby avaiable at night to keep me satisfied:)
ReplyDeletebooks4me67 at ymail dot com
I like to go camping with my family.
ReplyDeletencprincess96 at yahoo dot com
One where I get to read and relax and eat good food.
ReplyDeleteThorton12 at hotmail dot com
I never go on vacation but I would love to go to Ireland and Scotland someday.
ReplyDeletesstrode at scrtc dot com
I'd love to go to Japan for vacation someday. applenote.jamie@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI think someday I'd love to take a day or weekend trip to Massachusetts the place of my birth!
ReplyDeletefallschangingheart@hotmail.com
My ideal vacation would to be to go to Ireland and Scotland and go see the castles and ruins. :)
ReplyDelete-Amber
goodblinknpark(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
jmelter at gmail dot com TY and GL all!
ReplyDeleteMy ideal vacation is on a beach in Jamaica or Greece
ReplyDeletefarmaki@live.com
Thanks for sharing the giveaway! Such awesome prizes! a wonderful start to the summer!
ReplyDeleteandralynn7 AT gmail DOT com
Id love to go to Ireland! Thank you for the awesome hop and giveaway! Its tons of fun!
ReplyDeleteshadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com
My ideal vacation is anywhere we can relax, unwind & have a great time. My husband works long hours & travels & family time is precious to us. Thank you for being part of this fun, kickstart the summer, Wet and Wild Blog Hop & your giveaway!. Enjoyed the snippet from your latest book, too.
ReplyDeleteJessieL62 at comcast dot net