Today I have the awesome K.D. Grace on my blog talking about chaos and order!
Bring on the Chaos
By K D Grace
I like order. I like order a lot. In an ideal situation, my
world would be well-ordered – spotless house, clean cupboards, well organized
work space, sock and underwear drawers all neatly folded and spaced. But
because I’m a writer, because I’m tunnel-visioned and spend more time in the
worlds I’m creating than in the bombsite that’s my house, the fantasy and the
reality are way different. In fact, my world seems most ordered when I’m creating
chaos. My world suits me best when I’m writing fast and furiously and I’m
completely in the throes of the story. Writing a story involves creating chaos.
And if I’m doing it right, the chaos in my outside world will seem dwarfed by
the chaos of the world I’m writing into existence.
Once the chaos has reached critical mass, once I’ve totally
and completely made a mess of things for my characters and turned their lives
upside down, I set about restoring order to their world. I set about guiding
them through the chaos to their Happy Ever After. It’s my job, as a writer, to
create a world that begins in order, blossoms into insurmountable chaos, and then
resolves into an even higher form of order. Isn’t that what story is all about?
The way I see it, the main occupation of a writer is to create
chaos for her characters, to make their lives miserable, uncomfortable, and
challenging. Having said that, chaos doesn’t have to be of the shoot-‘em-up,
thriller, action, adventure variety. Sometimes the very best chaos comes
straight from the mind of the character. What writer doesn’t love a few serious
neuroses? What writer doesn’t love to muck about inside her characters’ heads? With
no chaos, no conflict, there’s no story. Happy endings are just that – endings.
What happens after the HEA is for readers to fantasize about. It’s what comes
before that happy ending that a writer concentrates on. What comes before
should be a voyeuristic romp for readers that entices them into the chaos and
catastrophe of the characters they’ve come to know, with plenty of anguish
thrown in for good measure. That chaos and catastrophe needs to be a cranked
up, high octane ride that will not only leave the reader willing to hang on for
dear life to get to the very last page, but very pleased to do so, even as the
writer turns the bull loose in the China closet and wreaks havoc with hearts
and relationships and, well, generally with everything. Then when the situation
is just about as chaotic as it can possibly get, when it begins to look like
all is lost, and the reader is white-knuckle page-turning and angsting for the
characters, the writer, in ways only writers can, creates a higher order, one
word, one sentence, one paragraph at a time. Voila! Love conquers all, and
there might even be dancing in the street.
Yup! True enough I like order. But I also like to create a
lot of chaos before I get there.
Here’s a snippet from my collection of short stories, Gracefully
Aroused.
Blurb:
From a
love spell that doesn’t quite go to plan to a farmhand who needs a little
discipline; from a woman who is addicted to the confessional to a personal
trainer with a very unorthodox method of guaranteeing his clients they’ll look
fab come bikini season, K D Grace will tell you a naughty story with a twist.
Before there was Ms Holly and the Pet Shop, before there were sexy ghosts,
before Grace Marshall upped the romance ante, K D Grace was into quickies, and
here’s a selection of her naughtiest.
‘Personal
Trainer’
Penny
Davis can’t afford to hire a personal trainer to get her fit for bikini season
until ex-military hard man, Hawk Sturgis, offers her an unorthodox fitness
regimen and an even more unorthodox payment plan, guaranteed to have her
heating up the beach in her new bikini just in time for the summer hols.
Excerpt:
When we
finally arrive at the gym, and he unlocks the door, I’m thinking death is
imminent. He places a meaty hand against my neck and eyeballs his chronograph
to check my pulse. I’m wondering if it’s even possible to count that fast. I’m
not sure if the resulting grunt means it’s acceptable, or that he’s totally
disgusted with my lack of fitness, but at least he’s not dialling an ambulance.
He
marches me at a fast trot to a back room with mirrored walls and free weights.
I head
straight for the nearest weight bench. It’s the perfect place to collapse and
have a whimper. But I don’t get far.
‘Davis!
About face!’ he huffs.
And I’m
standing at attention again, while he walks around me, hands on his hips
muttering. ‘Uh huh, mmm hmm, right.’ He nods to my blue trainer bottoms. ‘Take
’em off.’
‘Sir?’ My
voice cracks.
‘You want
a beach job, I need to know what I’ve got to work with.’
‘I have a
leotard, back home. Believe me, it doesn’t hide anything. If we could just
wait–’
‘Take.
Them. Off.’ Between each word he makes a stabbing motion at my trackie bottoms
with an index finger that looks like it might be a registered weapon.
I shove
the trousers down and step out of them, embarrassed by the comfy, and now
sweaty, granny panties I wore to work out in. I never expected to have to display
them.
‘And the
top.’
Buy The Best of K D Grace Now
Reviews
“This
whole collection is varied, balanced, and beautifully—even, yes,
gracefully—written, and you shouldn’t miss a word of it, so reading it all
yourself is the only way to go.” Reviewed by Sacchi Green for Erotica
Revealed
About K D Grace/Grace
Marshall:
K D Grace believes Freud was right. In the end, it really
IS all about sex, well sex and love. And nobody’s happier about that than she
is, otherwise, what would she write about? When she’s not writing, K D is veg gardening. When she’s not gardening, she’s walking. She walks her stories, and she’s serious about it. She and her husband have walked Coast to Coast across England, along with several other long-distance routes. For her, inspiration is directly proportionate to how quickly she wears out a pair of walking boots. She also enjoys martial arts, reading, watching the birds and anything that gets her outdoors.
K D has erotica published with SourceBooks, Xcite Books, Harper Collins Mischief Books, Mammoth, Cleis Press, Black Lace, Erotic Review, Ravenous Romance, Sweetmeats Press and others.
K D’s critically acclaimed erotic romance novels include, The Initiation of Ms Holly, The Pet Shop. Her paranormal erotic novel, Body Temperature and Rising, the first book of her Lakeland Heatwave trilogy, was listed as honorable mention on Violet Blue’s Top 12 Sex Books for 2011. Books two and three, Riding the Ether, and Elemental Fire, are now also available. She was nominated for ETO’s Best Erotic Author 2013.
K D Grace also writes hot romance as Grace Marshall. An Executive Decision, Identity Crisis, The Exhibition are all available.
Find K D Here:
Websites: http://kdgrace.co.uk/
http://gracemarshallromance.co.uk/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KDGraceAuthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/KD_Grace
|
http://twitter.com/GM_Romance |
|
|
|
|
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment