Thursday, January 14, 2010

Juggling Projects

Normally, my main rule when in the midst of too many projects is follow the order of deadlines. If such and such is due before project that other one, than such and such gets done first. But this isn't always the case when there are self made deadlines. If I make the deadlines sometimes I want to do what I really want to write that day first, whether or not it's my current WIP is yet to be known. This is where being my own boss comes in handy and can be my downfall. Here's my conflict breakdown:
  1. If it's another story begging to be written during WIP
  • I take notes, outline, or write the first paragraph until it leaves me alone.
  1. If it's another WIP honing in on current WIP's time
  • I ignore it the best I can with loud music until word count is met on current and then reward myself with words on the WIP that is bothering me. 
  1. If I haven't started any WIP that morning but have to pick one.
  • This is where things get tricky for me. There is only one of me and two of them, I can't tackle both at once without massive headaches and voice hopping. Mostly one WIP I love way more than the other or is just going easier wins the war and gets pages for the day. I really should fix that, but it's my Achilles heel, I'm a sucker for things I want to do. Aren't we all.
I just came back to Blood Purgatory's 3rd draft after being away for weeks and weeks. I want to scrap the next few chapters just because the edits seem enormous. I'm also in the head for my novella. Got to switch gears and do both, w00t. So, the point is, what do I work on tomorrow morning? The book that is supposed to be done Feb 1st for beta reading (at least) which I'm a little more than halfway through editing with huge plot line chunks that need to be taken care of. Or, the short novella I'm just writing on like a storm is chasing me which is (theoretically) due by the end of Jan with 30k words? What is an author to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment