Thursday, December 2, 2010

Revise and Resubmit: To Rejoice or Rip Out Your Hair

I'm pushing off a few submissions I wanted to do this month in order to do my first full novel rewrite for a revise and resubmit. I've gotten some of the best advice from my mentor on how to go about doing it and how to emotionally handle ripping apart what feels like my child---but when it comes down to it there's nothing left for it but to start writing it, right? And yet, nothing.

What am I afraid of? Probably a typical fear of many writers, re-writing a whole book from scratch. That it'll be worse than the first one---that I can't quite make it better, sexier, stronger than my first love of an MS that took me a year to write and polish at least five times.But this is when I have to put on my big girl panties and suck it up. I know it's only my perfectionist standards getting in the way combined with my need to please everyone right off the bat---including editors that had supremely nice, but semi-vague things to say in their email.

I'm such a fun mix of stubbornness, go-get-em attitude, and scared little girl throwing myself out into this big hurricane of a writing world and hoping the Wicked Witch of the West will start singing songs from Wicked instead of trying to kill me.

2 comments:

  1. Go start defying gravity, go on.

    Good luck. Rewrites are like the step-children you come to love as your own. Try to enjoy the process as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charmed, I've started the process and thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete