Thursday, December 3, 2009

Write for Yourself

Sometimes this can be the hardest thing to do for me. Mainly because I want my books to sell as much as I want to write them true to my own style. But if you write them and then it doesn't get out there, just because I wrote it doesn't really make it enough for me. I'm looking at what I'm writing right now, what has become my life, and I can see clearly the differences between my book and those out there. But, at the same time I can also name and point out very strong author influences. Because I can see the influences and see the makings of my book as a journey familiar to most readers does that mean it's unoriginal?

That's what I'm working with right now. What defines original, what will set me apart from the pack, but what will also make me happy and bring me the best book. All books stem from one plot or another, there is no plot that is original anymore, or that's the diatribe I subscribe too. Yet, peoples variations on these topics still sell like hotcakes. How do I know when I've had that divine experience where my story is different enough to make me happy, but universal enough to draw everyone into a big, cuddly reading pile?

I suppose the point of writing for yourself is to renege on these questions. To just shut up and keep writing and not stress. But what can I say? I think out of the box.

1 comment:

  1. Elise, I think this is a critical for any good writer, to write for oneself. It also can be difficult. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete