A little better today, currently writing a few pop culture icon articles for semi-decent pay and have a few articles churning in my brain for possible publication. Right now my transition from online to actual journal is what I'm focusing on, whether that leads me to a variety of new hobbies such as duck hunting to achieve a piece in duck hunting weekly, we'll see. I do know that I'll want to expand my borders about what I know about writing and certainly what I write about for fun. I take whatever market I'm given every day and I try to spin it to suit me, pinging it around in my brain until its marketable.
It's always the marketing and query writing that is the hard part for me, knowing when to stop on an article you've been writing for weeks and all you want to do is go, go, go. But hyper drive won't get a client to buy, just put on the breaks. So where is that clean line between "my work is awesome and this is why" to "oh god please take my work because if you don't I can't pay rent on time.". Sometimes I think there should be personal etiquette classes on this last bit. Get everyone sitting in a circle, drinking tea, legs crossed, and writing at their Macbook's going "Oh does that sound too pompous and arrogant or needy and self deprecating?" and then someone calls for a thesaurus. I hate those, just so you know. My brain was built to word transition, that's a writers job, I shouldn't need one and neither should you. Pick up a natural thesaurus in the way of great literature, a book, magazine, porn site, whatever gets your rocks off. Just train your brain the old fashioned way and stop cheating.
Anyway, after that side rant. Also on my agenda for the day are some serious writing prompts, one every day after "official" pay-the-bills, work is completed and then debauchery of the grandest kind, meaning the writing of my everlasting novel. Wish me luck with that one.
No comments:
Post a Comment