Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My favorite writing tools for, you guessed it, writing

1. Legal Pads: You really can't go wrong with these as a writer. I keep one by me all the time to jot down notes when I'm not working. Sometimes writing in short hand is easier then staring at a blank Word document as well. Different strokes for different folks.

2. LKH Blog: An amazing writer and a wonderful read when I'm down in the dumps and can't write one more word. Laurell K Hamilton succeeded, did quite well for herself, stays true to her characters, and always has wonderful writing advice for those of us trying to make it in the big bad world.

3. Purple Pens: If I'm in a writing groove, I refuse to write with anything else. Here it's all purple, all the time. Adds a little pep to my day.

4. Tea: I had to stop drinking coffee for a bit after some medical issues and this became my new beverage of choice. Both soothing and yummy with as much caffeine as needed to get my day going at full speed.

5. Copy Writing and Proofreading for Dummies: This little guide is invaluable even if you don't want to edit for a living. Reading it and understanding what to look for in your own work is key to becoming a better, more professional writer. Once you've mastered the stuff in this book it's easier to tighten your words and make more marketable sentence structures according to whatever market your selling too. It's like having a secret publishing guide that an unlock the world of an editors mind where you didn't know you had questions!

6. The Writer's Little Helper: This little book packs everything I may need to look up when writing furiously with no time for long drawn out answers. It carries a million answers in a great, well worked format. and it's color coded for super easy index sorting. Goes from characterization to word density throughout a piece and what is better in terms of your target audience.

7. The Writer Magazine: One of the best subscription choices I've ever made is this one. Every month there is a new focus on a certain aspect of writing, such as Children's Books or Journalism. The markets in back are super duper helpful and the articles are insightful. I've used many of their suggestions to make a quick buck and have succeeded quite thoroughly.

8. Bird By Bird: The best book for creative writing and getting the juices flowing that I've ever read. Wonderful prose, suggestions, tips and tricks to get you out of a slump and re-set your career again.

9. Writing Down the Bones: Another creative writing tome of awesomeness that applies a little more of a soul element into your writing style. Delves into who you are as a writer based on that "soul" and how that changes and plays with your mind's work your doing for the day.

10: Writer's Market 2009: A must have for any writer truly serious about taking their career to the next level and jumping on that Query bandwagon. Has all the writing resources at your fingertips from every publishing market and magazine, be it little or absolutely ginormous. It's listed here and you can send your work to them. Cross your fingers and pick up a copy, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment