Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Feeling a little rough around the edges

Today is a stop and start day. I'm viewing all my work that I've accomplished over the year and going "okay, this could be better." and it's both good and bad. It means today I'm not making much money because I need to keep stopping and starting in the different materiel I'm reviewing, as well as the different places I'm looking, it also means that the new ideas banging around in my head don't have anywhere to go. My cat is sitting in my lap as I total my winnings, scratching my skin to ribbons. If I look at how much work I did total versus how much I earned, I'd rather like to say that my work this year wasn't quite worth it. Way more production then payment. But when I'm just starting out like I am of course you have to expect that I suppose. It's just getting over the writerly fear, for me it's not rejection, its being ignored. I don't want to be ignored when I send queries, to me that's worse than any rejection they could have sent because most of the time it means they didn't even take then time to read my work. So, most of the time queries get caught in my head and I don't want to sell them, afraid someone will ignore me, and then later I see them on newsstands and I ball up my tiny fist and stamp my foot. Guess that's my New Years Resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment