Monday, October 22, 2012

New Writer's Week: Lydia Micheals



A True Cinderella Story
Romance Author Lydia Michaels

I began writing not to get rich, but because I felt driven to put words on a page.  I had a nagging sense of obligation, a compulsion to write my story, that only grew more and more difficult to ignore as time went on.  So on December 7, 2007 I put my two-year-old daughter to bed, sat down at my computer, and began to type.  By the next morning I had pounded out fifty pages. 

I became obsessed with writing.  I finished my first manuscript in less than one month on about three hours of sleep a night.  I was so proud of my work that I rushed out and had five copies printed and bound.  I then dropped a copy off with each of my closest friends. Of course the pages were littered with typos, but the plot was there and the reviews I received were very good. 

I spent months polishing and revising my manuscript, putting well over 40 hours a week into my craft.  The funny thing about revisions is that each time you edit a story you arrogantly assume it is as perfect as it can get, but then you read it again and become disgusted with how much it can actually be improved.  I realized my book was like a house; it would never be completely finished. Publishing my book would be the only way to stop my obsessive refinement.  So I edited my manuscript one more time and sent it out to fifteen agents and ten publishers.

I waited a grueling six months for all of my replies and with each rejection a small piece of me died a little.  Rejection is difficult no matter who you are.  When you put your heart and soul into something, only to be so universally discarded, it can be crushing.  Being an author is a very personal experience.  No one will ever love your manuscripts as much as you do, at least not when you are a new author without any fans.  In the beginning I cried a lot, but I always brushed myself off and tried again.

After I read my first manuscript so many times even the sight of it made me sick, I decided I needed to take a different approach, so I wrote something new.  My theory was: the more manuscripts I could submit the more probable it was for my work to get published.  I wrote my next novel, a ninety thousand-word romance, in ten days. It was a sweet, warm and fuzzy story about a young mother.  I submitted that manuscript to fifteen publishers over the span of two years.  Some took an interest and asked for more, but in the end I received fifteen more rejections. 

There is a lot of time spent waiting when you are a new author. Typically the wait period on a submission is three months.  If the publisher is interested he or she may ask you to send some sample chapters.  After a few more months they may request the entire manuscript.  It then takes another length of time for them to read and reply.  All in all it can take anywhere between six months to a year to hear back from just one company and it’s devastating when all you hear is bad news.  Rather than spend this time pining away, waiting for replies, I spent it writing.  In those two years my work became better, more polished.  My characters became more developed and my plots more intricate.  My typos dropped from 1,000 to 200.  That may still seem like a lot, but on a first draft of a manuscript over 120,000 words I assure you it’s not. 

For three years I had blown out my birthday candles with one wish on my mind.  Please let me be published.  The week of my thirtieth birthday I received my thirtieth rejection.  I felt like an absolute fool. I spent six months thinking about other career choices.  After finally admitting to myself that there was nothing else I would rather do than write, I gave myself a six-month extension.  You see my two year old was now a five year old and entering kindergarten.  It seemed silly for me to work from home when all of my hard work amounted to nothing, but there was still a small part of me that could not give up.  I spent the summer before my daughter started school reevaluating all of my rejections.  What did the publishers like?  What did they criticize?  If I found a weakness in my writing I studied ways to overcome it.  I then brainstormed.  What did publishers want to publish?  Once I had my ideas in order I began to write what would either be my first published book or my last submission.

In June I had written 75,000 words, the first half of what would be my next manuscript.  I gave a copy to one of my friends in my book club and two days later she called to yell at me.  How could I leave her hanging like that?  I had better start typing as soon as I got home!  She loved it!  She told me there was just something different about this story.  Perhaps it was desperation, lol. Her optimism fueled my energy to try harder.  I completed the first draft by September and submitted it. 

Mid-September, my thirty-first birthday, as I blew out the candles on my cake, I wished one last time, Please let me be published.  A week later I received a very cold, generic rejection, the kind that tells you the publisher barely glanced at your work, and those little broken pieces inside of me seemed to come crumbling down.  As much as I wanted to be an author, as much as I wanted to follow my dreams, I felt like Wendy when she had to force herself to leave Never Never Land.  I needed to grow up, stop fantasizing, and join the real world. I remained hopeful against all odds for almost four years, but I had run out of optimism.  Then everything changed.

Two weeks later, on September 29, 2011 I opened up my mail and saw what was likely another rejection, but I did not cry.  Yes, there were no tears at first, not until I read the words, “We would like to publish your book.”

It took me a moment to comprehend that I was not reading another rejection.  It didn’t completely sink in until I read on and saw the projected publication dates.  My heart began to pound, yet I don’t think I was breathing.   I read the letter out loud and when my ears actually heard the words I screamed and burst into tears.  My dreams were coming true!  I picked up my daughter and danced around my home like a loon.  By the time I made my first call to family I was shaking and crying so hard the person on the other line couldn’t make out what I was saying.  When they finally understood they screamed as well (right in the middle of the dollar store).  I had friends screaming and dancing all over the place once I sent out a text.  

It was a moment I don’t think I will ever forget, a moment just before all faith was lost, but then suddenly found.  For all of you struggling authors out there, don’t give up!  If you love to write as much as I do, stick with it!  Try and try again for as long as you can.  I am proof that with enough heart and determination dreams do come true!

That article was written a year ago and I still feel every bit of the passion I felt then, only so much has changed. I love to encourage new authors, because I still consider myself new. First, if you write, you are an author. Don’t wait for others to validate your talent. My first year ‘out there’ has been insane and beyond incredible. Am I rich? Not even close! But that was never the goal. The goal was to follow my dreams. So here is a brief summery of my first year as a published author.

I was accepted by Siren Publishing in September 2011. They contracted The Order of Vampyres, an erotic Amish vampyre series that now has three books (more to come) and recently won the Top Bite Award from Bitten by Paranormal Romance. If you like a good vamp saga, check out The Order, but warning, you should really read them in order (pardon the pun).



I spent the winter writing and editing and learning the ropes. In spring of 2012 I began finishing my New Castle series. It was the first romance series I had ever written and it basically needed to be rewritten, a daunting task, but I did it. I then submitted it and—what do you know—it was picked up by Secret Cravings Publishing! The first New Castle book, White Chocolate, was just released this August and All 4 You {New Castle 2} just came out this month and has already climbed to the top of several bestseller charts. 



It is an incredible feeling to actually see my name out there, but the most magical feeling comes when a reader tells me they enjoyed something I wrote. I love my readers and they make everything worthwhile!

I definitely believe I am living my own Cinderella story. I can’t even begin to describe my emotions over the past ten days. My world literally shifted. Last Tuesday I opened my mail and found a contract for Breaking Perfect, an erotic MMF romance I write. That afternoon I was contracted for another 6 books in a new Irish series, McCullough Mountain! The first of that series, Sacred Waters, comes out spring 2013. And then something incredible happened…

It is widely known that you can’t get into the “Top 6” New York publishing houses without an agent. I am still searching for my agent (If you’re reading this…feel free to shoot me an email and let me know where you’ve been. LOL). Well, I took a chance and at the Lori Foster Reader Author Get Together this year. I mingled with some pretty talented authors, agents, and I even had a chance to pitch to some of the big guys. I returned home from the convention and wrote my heart out, thinking sooner or later I’m going to write the one. Well, I wrote it. Just last week I was contacted by Penguin regarding a new trilogy I wrote this summer! I made it!

Life is an incredible (an emotional) journey. Thirteen months ago I thought about giving up. Today I have 16 books contracted and many more to come! My fans are absolutely incredible and spend a good part of each day being thankful for the path my life has taken, even the dips along the way. I now go to schools and talk to children about following their dreams. This summer I got a letter from a little girl that said, “Ms. Michaels, you aimed for the moon and became a star.” When I read that line I burst into tears. I think that was the moment I realized my dreams had come true.

All I can tell you is if you love writing, stick with it! 

Where can you find Lydia Michaels?

Lydia can be found/reached at www.LydiaMichaels.org

 



No comments:

Post a Comment