I got a nice letter today. A letter of rejection that liked my ideas but thought my story was to disjointed for their readership. I tend to write artistically, the only issue with this one is that I was changing perspectives and it didn't quite conform to fairytale stories which was the anthologies purpose. It was the little mermaid with a twist.
I intend to look at it objectively when I don't feel quite so crushed. I don't enjoy putting out everything for my readers, I like a more connect-the dot-method which doesn't work for everyone. I understand that readership is most important to editors, I will make things more clear. but I will not pander to an audience that shouldn't be reading my work because they don't understand it.
They say there is a perfect market for everything. Every piece under the sun can find a home if you work at it. So, apparently I'll be working at it with this one.
I'm at a cross roads and I don't really know what to do.
You can write what you're "told" readers want to read, or you can write something that you like writing and would like to read yourself. And if this is your first rejection - frame it!
ReplyDeleteAnd hey, the important thing is you submitted it.
we all get rejections from time to time..even the "big" names among us..
ReplyDeletewhen i got a rejection on a piece i directly send it out again..to another publisher...someone will love your twisted mermaid!