Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Description Versus Quicksand

I've hit my stride with most of these chapters I'm penning. Unfortunately, a large difference between erotica and romance happens to lie in one of my favorite things to do when I'm in stride: excessive description. Though this works wonderfully and is almost necessary for a visceral piece like erotica, for romance it can be a plague sent to kill a reader's interest in a matter of seconds.

That is my current difficulty.. Leaving my love of complete and utter description at the door when I put on my romance novel hat and picking it back up again when I start something a little more slutty. To quote one of my friends "you're the Edith Wharton of succubus love". I am pleased as punch on that one and yet....contemporary romance readers really don't want everything thought out for them down to the sheets on the bed the secondary character is using while his house has burned down. (A fake scenario). So, when to use my love of flashy words and when not too? Only time and practice will tell, but hopefully I won't be falling in quicksand or editing large chunks of text until I'm forty. At least not on the same body of work.That would be unpleasant.

1 comment: