One thing I find myself pondering over and over despite whatever piece I'm working on is whether or not it's worth my time to pick a branch of writing I enjoy and stick to it. Specializing in a field if you will, much like picking a major in college. The trouble is, I can never pick just one thing. I want to write it all. If I haven't tried it, I will. So, adding myself to a roster of just one type of writing limits my options.
Yet, picking a genre and going for it also has it perks. You can make a name for yourself easier than had you spread yourself thin across multiple writer pursuits. It also gives definition to a brand and product. Such as, "Oh, so and so, she's the one that does blah blah blah, right?" as opposed to "Oh, that name sounds sort of familiar, what does she do again?". Sometimes the writing game is all about definition. How do I want to define myself, or do I even care? It flip flops from day to day with me.
My moral is always I will write anything that people pay me for creating. That got me through college. But is it all what I love? I know I love writing this book, it's like grinding sweat out of stone sitting down to it every day but it is my passion. It's what I enjoy waking up too.
I suppose I could do both. Pick a genre, theme, style, go with it. Build a career and a brand and then dabble in my free time with other literary modes. But my personality doesn't lend itself to just going 50% and then letting it sit saying that was fun. I write things to get published. I write because I wouldn't breathe if I didn't write.
So what's a girl to do?
Romance and Erotica will always be there. They are my focus right now and it will be my career if I can make it happen. It's what I want to do with my life. But what about all the forty million other genres I like to create? Will they be waiting for me when I get back?
No comments:
Post a Comment