Friday, September 4, 2009

Top Ten Romance Writing Tips For Beginners

One of the hardest things to figure out when first writing romance is where exactly to start. Though there are millions of romance books out there, there are few good books on how to write them. One of the best books I've found, which now sits by me for quick perusal whenever I write is On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells by Leigh Michaels who also happens to be my Romance Writing Class professor. Her advice has proved invaluable and whenever I have a question but can't consult her, out pops my textbook to the rescue.

Oddly enough, writing a romance novel has proved one of the most challenging events in my tiny writing career. Though I've been writing professionally with no publication since I was five. It is not only difficult to keep sight of your hero and heroine's goals for not being together, but also juggling a long term and short term conflict which can result in boat load of plot sinking inconsistency. I never imagined in my greatest dreams that it would be this challenging.

Or, maybe it's just hard because I picked the most difficult plot I could and I'm still figuring out my characters as I throw them at plot twists hoping they don't get caught under the bus. Cam and Trey are still a never ending mystery as I enter chapter five. They keep revealing little bits and pieces of themselves that make me change their actions and motivations throughout the whole course of the book. It's hard to go forward when I know I have a computer file of mistakes and corrections to fix.

Now should be the time when everything is falling into place. To some degree that happened the other morning. But I still have a vengeful succubus to appease whose motivations and nuances I haven't even tapped into yet. Selene is still a mystery to me. And she's about to take center stage. Oh, boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment